COACH CERTIFICATION PROGRAM — CURRICULUM OVERVIEW
5 KEY AREAS OF DEVELOPMENT
Our accredited Coach Certification program provides seasoned professionals with an understanding of the essential elements needed to become a masterful coach. While many coach training programs focus almost exclusively on skill-based competencies, at Hudson we believe that to be successful, the well-rounded coach needs development in five key areas.
01: SELF AS COACH: Cultivating one’s Internal landscape
The most important ‘tool’ you have as a coach is the ‘use of self’. This requires that you be prepared to examine your inner landscape—your own self-development—in order to build the capacity to coach.
Our Self-as-Coach model provides a way of scanning your inner landscape to determine what’s most needed with the client and with one’s self at any given time, and it provides a map for your own developmental journey toward mastery.
02: Our METHODOLOGY: The Art & Science of Coaching
A sound coaching methodology provides a map to guide the way through the coaching process, yet a useful methodology is not intended to be lockstep and linear; coaching never unfolds in quite that way. Every coaching situation dictates the need for flexibility, and some elements of the methodology will be more important in some situations than in others.
Whether your coaching engagement is inside an organization or transition coaching work, our flexible methodology supports the progression from understanding the context to identifying the coaching goals, and working the inner and outer elements that create sustainable change—and measurable results.
The measurement of coaching outcomes is imperative if coaching is going to continue to grow as a viable mechanism for developing leaders. Our coaches learn how to evaluate the coaching engagement from several different angles so they can communicate the wider impact the coaching engagement has had on the organization and its bottom line.
03: Hudson’s DEVELOPMENTAL PERSPECTIVE
At Hudson we believe that to be an effective coach, you need to understand how to look at the developmental pathways of your client—the Whole Person. This includes the developmental pathway across one’s lifespan as well as the internal pathway that evolves as the individual moves through transitions and changes. These two elements of development encompass and account for the context in which we live while simultaneously acknowledging that we are all on an individual journey in life.
Whether coaching a leader at the peak of his career, an early career person looking to define her own path, or a successful midcareer leader who is burned out and bored, it’s essential that we understand the developmental terrain in all contexts in order to effect sustainable change for clients.
04: THE book on Coaching
A great coach needs to be steeped in seminal thinking relative to the field of coaching, along with the most current best practices, concepts and theories that inform our work. With 30+ years in the coaching industry, Hudson is the elite leadership and coach training institute because we teach only what’s been proven to work. You will be learning theories and research-based developmental models from the top thought leaders in the field of coaching, including Pam McLean, author of The Completely Revised Handbook of Coaching.
05: Super-Vision: The Practice of continual development
Throughout the year-long program and beyond, we emphasize the need for practice in conjunction with reflective practices, routine feedback, and coaching supervision, in order to continue to deepen one’s capacity as coach.
Including our prerequisite seminars, this program is approximately one year.
PREREQUISITES & APPLICATION
ATTEND LIFE FORWARD™
Our foundational transition and change program prepares you to better understand the challenges of a coaching client while becoming acquainted with a developmental perspective.
ATTEND OUR COACHING SEMINAR
This one-day seminar provides an overview of our holistic and developmental approach to coaching. Offered the day after our LifeForward program.
Candidates must submit an application for entry into the program. Applications can be submitted any time before or after the prerequisite work.
Payment in full is due 60 days prior to the first session. Registration and payment details provided upon acceptance.
Three Coach Intensive Training (CIT) Sessions
- Spread over eight months, each CIT session is four days in Santa Barbara, California.
- We utilize an experiential learning model that includes theoretical presentations, modeling, practice, skill building, role-playing, real-time coaching, and peer learning groups mastery.
- Participants continue learning between sessions through website interaction, weekly small group calls, learning forums, regular mentor coach calls, monthly coaching clinics, individual coaching relationships, and reading and application.
- Estimated 8-12 hours per week.
- Creation and acceptance of a Professional Development Plan
- Receive 15 hours of coaching from a recognized professional coach
- Provide 50 hours of coaching practice with individuals and groups outside of the coaching program
- Submission of three recorded coaching sessions for review by an experienced mentor-coach
- Successful completion of three consecutive onsite sessions
- Development of a personal journal focused on practices to support change
- Written longitudinal case study of a coaching client
- Participation in monthly coaching clinics, learning forums, web-based discussions, and calls with a designated mentor coach
- Demonstrated competence in coaching
- Final portfolio of learning outcomes
- Final oral and written exam
Outcomes You Can Expect
- Thorough understanding of the the theory- and skill-based competencies required for coaching
- Utilize a sound coaching methodology that supports a successful coaching engagement
- Gain a developmental perspective on the adult life, the leadership journey, and the cyclic nature of transitions
- Develop a commitment to your own continual development as Self as Coach
- Grow lasting relationships with a diverse group of talented leaders from around the globe
- Designated as a Certified Hudson Institute Coach (CHICoach)
Hudson is an Accredited Coach Training Program (ACTP) through the International Coach Federation (ICF).
This qualifies certified graduates to apply for ICF credentials, if desired.
Upcoming Course Schedule
Onsite CIT Schedule
October 25-28, 2017
February 7-10, 2018
June 6-9, 2018
January 24-27, 2018
May 2-5, 2018
September 19-22, 2018
April 25-28, 2018
July 25-28, 2018
December 5-8, 2018
CONTACT US TO LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR COACH CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
HUDSON INSTITUTE OF COACHING
ASK A GRADUATE
If you would like to talk with a graduate of our Coach Certification Program, please contact any of the following Certified Hudson Institute Coaches: